[Python-Dev] Commit changelog: issue number and merges

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon May 9 14:40:03 CEST 2011

On Mon, 09 May 2011 12:32:48 +0200, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> For merge commits: many developers just write "merge" or "merge 3.1". I
> have to go to the parent commit (and something to the grandparent,
> 3.1->3.2->3.3) to learn more about the commit.
>
> Would it be possible to repeat the changelog of the original commit in
> the merge commits? svnmerge toold prepared a nice changelog containing
> the changelog of all pendings commits, even when a commit was "blocked".
>
> For a merge commit, I copy/paste the changelog of the original commit
> and I add a "(Merge 3.1) " prefix. I prefer to add explictly a prefix
> because it is not easy to notice that it is a merge commit in a
> python-checkins email or in the history of hg.python.org.

+1.  What I do is, in the edit window for the commit message, I pull
in .hg/last-message.txt, and just type 'Merge' in front of my previous
first line.  I don't add the merge-from number, because I figure if you
know which branch you are looking at you know which branch the merge
came from, given that there is a strict progression.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com