[Python-Dev] Use regrtest.py --timeout on buildbots

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Thu Mar 31 18:35:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

I just added a --timeout option to Lib/test/regrtest.py: if a test (one
function, not a whole file) takes more than TIMEOUT seconds, the
traceback is dumped and it exits. I tested it on 3 buildbots with a
timeout of 5 minutes and it worked as expected: see #11727 for
examples.

It would be nice to have this feature enabled on all buildbots.

We may set a default timeout of 15 minutes. If a test takes more than 15
minutes, something goes wrong! Some buildbot use a timeout of 1200 or
3600 seconds for regrtest (all tests). But the build slave should be
able to override the default timeout.

What do you think?

Victor