[Python-Dev] Please revert autofolding of tracker edit form

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Mar 31 01:32:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 08:54:41 +1000
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> > The tracker was recently changed so that when I click on a link to a tracker
> > page, the page is properly displayed, but then a fraction of a second it
> > blinks and redisplays with the edit form hidden. This is so obnoxious to me
> > that I no longer want to visit the tracker. Then I have to find and click
> > the button to get back the edit form that I nearly always want to see, as I
> > often make changes. All this to compress the page by half a screen, which
> > makes almost no difference once one grabs the scrollbar anyway.
>
> Interesting - it comes straight up with the folded screen for me, no
> flickering at all.

It has flickered occasionally here (Firefox 4).

> It may depend on how a given browser handles the scripts involved.

Or how fast they get loaded compared to the main HTML, which can then
interact with some redraw timers in your browser or whatever else.

> > If someone actually considers this a desired feature, after using it, then
> > please add a field on the profile page to select autofolding or not. Also,
> > there should be a button to fold as well as one to unfold.
>
> Skip objected to the amount of noise at the top of the tracker screen,
> so I assume whoever added the feature was doing so in response to that
> concern. Since it doesn't flicker for me, I actually found it to be an
> elegant solution.

There's a lot of "noise" but that noise is useful. I find the
natural language summary to be much too terse and doesn't make it easy
to visualize said information as opposed to the form fields.
What's more, it lacks the most important: the issue title.

Regards

Antoine.