[Python-Dev] Python Core Mentorship program

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Mar 26 06:20:38 CET 2011

On 3/25/2011 2:55 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Guido van Rossum<guido at python.org>  writes:
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Ben Finney<ben+python at benfinney.id.au>  wrote:
>>> Surely a forum specifically for mentorship will be more useful if
>>> outsiders can be directed to existing discussions, without needing to
>>> join the private club.
>>
>> This argument comes up repeatedly. Some people object on principle to
>> all closed lists.
>
> No, I'm pointing out that a closed forum *for mentorship specifically*
> is undermining the goal of mentorship: to efficiently share valuable
> knowledge and help newbies learn from existing discussions with experts
> and other newbies.

I disagree.  The goal of mentorship is to help someone learn -- a
subtle, yet distinct, difference.  I think a closed list will suit that
purpose better.

Keep in mind also that the list is *closed*, not *locked* -- anyone can
join, and anyone who has joined has full access to current goings-on and
to the archives.

~Ethan~