[Python-Dev] Second draft: PEP397: Python launcher for Windows

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 18:43:39 CET 2011

On 23/03/2011 01:30, Mark Hammond wrote:
> On 23/03/2011 6:12 AM, Michael Foord wrote:
>> On 22/03/2011 07:21, Mark Hammond wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I've made some changes to the draft PEP and checked it into the PEP
>>> repository as PEP397. The reference implementation is currently being
>>> tracked at http://bugs.python.org/issue11629.
>>>

>> Hey Mark,
>>
>> One way of supporting alternative implementations (that may not even
>> have a standard install directory) is allowing configuration. e.g.
>> config.ini
>>
>> [paths]
>> ironpython = c:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe
>> ironpython2.7 = c:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe
>> jython = c:\Users\foobar\jython2.5\jython.exe
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I'd have no problem with that in general, but how would you feel about
> letting the PEP stand as it is without this additional requirement and
> then treat this as an additional feature to be thrashed out
> separately?  I intentionally worded the PEP to specifically allow
> these kinds of features to be added outside the PEP process.
>
> For example, I guess the name of the INI file wouldn't be config.ini,
> and I guess there might need to be a strategy to allow it to exist in
> multiple places for when users want this feature but don't have write
> access to the location of py.exe.  Then people might want it to be in
> the cwd, or in any parent of the cwd, etc... Further, it might also be
> possible to support this with simple environment variables which might
> wind up being just as (or more) reasonable (the concept of per-user
> environment variables already exist and a UI already exists for
> editing them, and it would allow different cmd-prompts to have
> different "rules" with minimal complexity) - not that I am necessarily
> advocating this - I'd just prefer the PEP to not get bogged down with
> those kinds of issues.

Well... I'd rather see the pep implemented as is than not implemented.
On the other hand I think it would be a great shame for it to be
implemented in a way that excludes-until-someone-else-fixes-it the other
implementations. (i.e. I think built-in support for other
implementations would be vastly preferable.) It's your PEP though, and
I'm still +1 on the idea.

I'm not married to it being a config file - registry entries would be
fine (implementations could modify their installers or ship scripts to
create the correct entries). I'm not sure about environment variables, I
suppose it would be ok - but modifying a single environment variable
with multiple paths / interpreters could get icky.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/