[Python-Dev] Trimming "make quicktest"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 23 17:16:50 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:26:13 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2011, at 02:52 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
> >Then many people will start running the "smoke test" rather than the
> >whole suite, which will create new kinds of problems. It's IMO a bad
> >idea. Let Barry learn about "-j" :)
>
> Well, that's a social problem, not a technical problem.

Isn't this whole thread about a social problem?
You are complaining that the test suite is too slow, which *is* a
social problem (the buildbots (mostly) don't care about runtime, for
example).

If we start promoting a "quicker" way of running tests, then nobody
will use the normal way. I'm sorry, I'm -1 on that. There are
regressions often enough on the buildbots.

If you insist on that, I suggest that you also vow to take care of
the buildbot fleet and individually track regressions and notify people
who are responsible for them.

Regards

Antoine.