[Python-Dev] Workflow proposal

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 23 02:39:01 CET 2011

Executive summary:

If we're really serious about serializing the public branches, mq
seems to be the way to go.

Jesus Cea writes:

 > 6. Use "hg strip" (dangerous!) to delete the local merges to 3.2 and
 > "default". Leave the original commit in "3.1" alone.

I would suggest "hg strip --keep" which leaves the working copy
unchanged.  Now commit those changes (locally).  This will result in a
spurious commit by Antoine's standards, but should dramatically
decrease the burden on the contributor.  Daredevils<wink> can strip
this one too before committing the merge.

Really it would be preferable to do all this with mq, though. It seems
to me that this is precisely what qrefresh does.  The main issue I can
see is that I don't know an mq command to pop off a "real" commit and
turn it back into an mq patch.  I guess "hg strip --keep; hg qnew
<patch-name>" should do it though.

 > 3. Push my clone to a SANDBOX in hg.python.org ("hg push sandbox"). This
 > sandbox is synchronized with the official HG repository.

This sounds messy and fragile to me.  Better to implement a true
changeset queue manager, IMHO.