[Python-Dev] GSoC: speed.python.org

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 21 23:29:49 CET 2011

>> 3. Several benchmarks (at least the Django and Twisted ones) have
>> dependencies which are not (yet) ported to 3.x and porting those
>> dependencies during GSoC as part of this project is an unrealistic
>> goal. Should those benchmarks, at least for now, be ignored?
>>

> IMHO: Yes. I think MvL can expand on this as well.

Indeed. It is, in fact, not true that Django hasn't been ported to
Python 3. So anybody porting the benchmark should IMO also consider
the Django ones. For the Twisted ones, I think some progress was
made at PyCon, but I don't know what the status is.

But in general, Jesse is right: if there is an external dependency
that hasn't been ported to Python 3 yet, that should rather be
a GSoC project of its own (assuming the project maintainers agree
to then integrate the project results).

>> [1]: http://wiki.python.org/moin/SpeedDotPythonDotOrg
>
> FYI, I recommend coordinating with Miquel Torres (cc'ed) and Maciej
> Fijalkowski from PyPy on these questions / this project as well. I am
> currently coordinating getting the hardware setup for this project's
> hosting.

I also agree that the GSoC project should focus on the coding/porting
part. Setting up infrastructure is not a good GSoC project, as this
is rather a long-term commitment to keep it running.

Regards,
Martin