[Python-Dev] GSoC: speed.python.org

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 23:21:35 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM, DasIch <dasdasich at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:33:55 +0100
>> DasIch <dasdasich at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 3. Several benchmarks (at least the Django and Twisted ones) have
>>> dependencies which are not (yet) ported to 3.x and porting those
>>> dependencies during GSoC as part of this project is an unrealistic
>>> goal. Should those benchmarks, at least for now, be ignored?
>>
>> Why not reuse the benchmarks in http://hg.python.org/benchmarks/ ?
>> Many of them are 3.x-compatible.
>> I don't understand why people are working on multiple benchmark suites
>> without cooperating these days.
>
> I haven't looked to closely but those benchmarks appear to be the ones
> developed by the unladen swallow guys and those are used by PyPy among
> others.
>
> The difference is that PyPy has more benchmarks particularly ones that
> measure performance of real world applications. As good benchmarks are
> very hard to come by those appear to be a better starting point.

The benchmark running code didn't change significantly. The actual
benchmarks however did. US's micro-benchmarks were removed and new
things were added (the biggest addition is probably the whole set of
twisted benchmarks). The original idea was to converge and have the
common repo on hg.python.org, but since unladen run out of steam,
nobody bothered to update the hg.python.org one so we continued on our
own.

Cheers,
fijal