[Python-Dev] GSoC: speed.python.org

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 20:30:45 CET 2011

    >> Is there any value in them as regression tests (maybe with more
    >> elaborate inputs and/or longer runtimes)?

    Antoine> You mean to check behaviour or to check for performance
    Antoine> regressions?

Both.  Semantic regressions, and secondarily, performance regressions.
I can understand the need to stabilize the code and inputs for measuring
performance.  As bad a benchmark as pystone is, one of its saving graces is
that it hasn't changed in so long.

When looking for semantic problems I can see that you would add new packages
to the suite where they expose problems, just as we do today for unit tests.

Skip