[Python-Dev] Deprecating non-Py_ssize_t use of PyArg_ParseTuple

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 21 04:09:35 CET 2011

Since Python 2.5, we maintain two versions of PyArg_ParseTuple:
one outputting int; the other one outputting Py_ssize_t.

The former should have been removed in 3.0, but this was forgotten.

Still, I would like people to move over to the new version, so
that extension modules will typically support 64-bit collections
well. Therefore, I'd like to propose that the int version is deprecated
in 3.3.

Given the recent discussion about backwards compatibility: what's
the best approach? What warning should be emitted, if any?
(the warning would only be generated if an s# or similar format
 was actually encountered - not just if merely PyArg_ParseTuple is
 called).

Regards,
Martin