[Python-Dev] Draft PEP and reference implementation of a Python launcher for Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 15:55:18 CET 2011

On 20 March 2011 09:58, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2011 8:36 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>
>> On 3/20/2011 3:22 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>> On 3/19/2011 7:38 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> As both a writer and reader, I would like to just add, for instance,
>>
>> #! python3
>>
>> (or 3.3 or whatever) and have the launcher do the 'right thing'.
>
> If there was general agreement, I'd be happy for the PEP to support that
> variation.

I would probably use this. I'd also be happy with Unix-style
#!/usr/bin/python3. I would not use a Windows-only line at all.

Anyone advocating including full paths in a Windows-specific line
(can't remember who it was, sorry - Glen?) should remember that unlike
Unix, there is NO standard location for the Python interpreter on
Windows. The installer's default is only that - a default. (And TBH,
in my view, not that good a default, merely the best of a series of
bad options...) My Python installs are usually in \Apps\Pythonxy on
some drive - which one depends on how my drives are laid out and how
much free space I have. So an absolute path wouldn't even be portable
across all of my own PCs! Personally, I'd rather not have such a line
at all (and find another approach) than use an absolute path...

Paul.