[Python-Dev] Draft PEP and reference implementation of a Python launcher for Windows

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Mar 20 12:19:10 CET 2011

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> As both a writer and reader, I would like to just add, for instance,
>
> #! python3
>
> (or 3.3 or whatever) and have the launcher do the 'right thing'. It
> seems to me that that really should be enough info for *nix,

For clarity: the reason it's not enough information is because the
kernel doesn't go hunting for the interpreter. The shebang line needs to
specify the full filesystem path of the interpreter program.

--
 \     “The Vatican is not a state.… a state must have territory. This |
  `\         is a palace with gardens, about as big as an average golf |