[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 14:10:15 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 07:41, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> On 17/03/11 13:35, Jesus Cea wrote:
> > Tonight I was thinking about doing a merge inside the branch, to solve
> > the "+1 branch". Something like transforming:
>
> Another thing I was thinking about tonight was... dropping the "+1 head"
> banning. Embrace it. Embrace the mercurial way completely.
>
> Each developer is responsible of merging HIS heads. If somebody
> "forgets", nothing wrong will happens. And no patch is left behind,
> because you can see unmerged patches with "hg heads", and bug their owners.

That just makes more work.

1. I, being new to hg, might not realize my error and just think I'm done. I
move on with life.
2. Someone has to notice the additional head then contact me.
3. Now I have to go back and figure out not only what I did wrong, but what
I have to do to correct it.

In the end, yes, it's my problem, but just because you can shoot yourself in
the foot doesn't mean we need to let people do it.