[Python-Dev] public visibility of python-dev decisions "before it's too late"

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 15:12:34 CET 2011

On 16 Mar, 2011, at 9:56, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Interestingly, there is no definite time frame on the deprecation
> warnings in that discussion. It was just the standard "deprecation in
> X.Y means removal in X.Y+1" that lead to 3.2 no longer providing the
> PyCObject API.

Speaking of deprecation warnings: GCC has an __attribute__ option to mark C functions as deprecated. Is that something we should use for C API's that are deprecated?

As an example:

int old_code (void) __attribute__((__deprecated__));

Will warn when the function is called:

t.c:12: warning: ‘old_code’ is deprecated (declared at t.c:6)

This would obviously have to be wrapped in a macro that expands to nothing on compilers other than GCC.

Ronald