[Python-Dev] public visibility of python-dev decisions "before it's too late"

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Mar 16 07:42:41 CET 2011

Lennart Regebro, 16.03.2011 00:04:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 18:56, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> why not just consider this another
>> instance of the 2.x/3.x incompatibility? That's what it is after all.
>
> Apparently not, as the code already ran under Python 3.1.

Personally, I would expect that breaking backwards compatibility in Python
3.2 affects a lot less people than a similar change in the 2.x line because
many projects still haven't ported their code to Python 3.x.

I can assure you that it's quite easy to support both PyCObject and
PyCapsule at the same time, thus supporting a wide range of Python 2.x and
3.x releases. NumPy does it, Cython does it, other projects probably do it
by now, too.

So this is actually less of a problem than you are trying to make it appear.

Stefan