[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 01:10:05 CET 2011

On 8/03/2011 10:15 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Mark Hammond wrote:
>
>> Yup - although I think a pythonw.exe launcher would be needed too
>
> Couldn't the launcher look at the extension of the file being
> launched to decide about this?

Nope - the launcher itself must be marked as "console" or "windows", and
hence would suffer the exact same problem which needs us to have
python.exe and pythonw.exe in the first place (ie, in some cases you get
a "temp" console where you don't want one, and in other cases you get a
new console where you wanted an existing one to be used)

Mark