[Python-Dev] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 01:10:29 CET 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 03:27 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Westley Martínez wrote:
> >> Nit pick: Change "he" to "they" to be gender neutral.
> >
> > Nit pick: Change "they" to "he" to be grammatically correct. If we
> > really have to be gender neutral, change "he" to "he or she".
>
> Actually, that's a hyper-correction imposed by grammarians in the 18th
> century who were overly influenced by Latin. The use of "they" as a
> generic singular and indeterminate pronoun in written English goes back
> at least to Chaucer in the 14th century, and very likely as long back as
> before English was English, and remains in common use today. Despite the
> distaste for it among (mostly American) grammarians, it is
> linguistically sound and widely accepted in most of the English-speaking
> world, particularly England itself. The use of singular they is
> widespread, natural, and grammatically correct.
>
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-the2.htm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
> http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archivs/005423.html
>
> But for the sake of not upsetting our nuclear-armed cousins on the wrong
> side of the Atlantic *wink*, perhaps the sentence could be reworded to
> refer to system administrators plural, and thus satisfy everyone?
>
> "That way, if sysadmins decide to replace the installed "python" file,
> they can do so without inadvertently deleting the previously installed
> binary."

All right I have to reply to all these "singular they" remarks. Just
because the singular they has been used for a long time doesn't make it
right. It sounds unnatural, at least to me, and I've always been taught
to use "he or she" which I despise. So all my life I've used the generic
"he". Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that for Python Strunk and
White apply, and neither Strunk nor White like singular theys.