[Python-Dev] Mercurial conversion repositories

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Mar 4 23:09:36 CET 2011

Le vendredi 04 mars 2011 à 14:03 -0800, Santoso Wijaya a écrit :
>         [...] publishing patches by referring to a remote repository,
>         rather than uploading the diff.
>

> Is this a recommended workflow at this point, or should we
> generate/attach patch files still? Both, for experimentation?

Pragmatically, I think we would still prefer patches, but Mercurial
should make it much easier to maintain them - e.g. you can use mq (which
is what Mercurial devs themselves use, actually).

We can also experiment with other forms of publishing changes, but I
think that would require the publisher to somehow collapses their own
changesets, so that it finally amounts to reviewing a patch.  In my
opinion at least, it would be bad if we started integrating intermediate
changesets leading to a final patch just because Mercurial allows us to
do it. I think it's better if the public history line doesn't get
obscured with work-in-progress changesets.

Regards

Antoine.