[Python-Dev] Integrate the faulthandler module into Python 3.3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:29:34 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Simon Cross
<hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
> There may be reasons for including a shiny new module in the standard
> library despite the drawbacks (the rest of the standard library might
> wish to use the new feature, for example). If there are such reasons
> it would be nice to see them stated and discussed here.

Basically, we would like easy access to crash tracebacks on our own
buildbots, and to be able to easily request them on the issue tracker
when someone reports a crash bug that we can't readily reproduce.

Even when the Python traceback isn't enough on its own to pinpoint the
problem, it should help greatly in isolating the cause sufficiently to
reproduce the crash under a C level debugger.

It may be worth installing this as _faulthandler for 3.3 though, at
least initially. We'll still be able to enable it by default in
regrtest, as well as provide a command line option to switch it on,
but there would be a clear indication that the Python facing API may
not be stable yet.

Cheers,
Nick.