[Python-Dev] PEP 397 (Python launcher for Windows) reference implementation

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 13:13:25 CEST 2011

On 30/06/2011 08:34, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 30/06/2011 05:23, Mark Hammond wrote:
>> On 30/06/2011 3:00 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>>> PEP 397 (Python launcher for Windows) has a reference implementation
>>> in Python.
>>> Does anyone know of a C implementation, or is planning/working on one?
>>> I realise
>>> this is the final objective, so such implementation might be
>>> premature, but
>>> perhaps someone has been experimenting ...
>>
>> Not yet - my last update of the PEP has made the existing reference
>> implementation out-of-date, so I want to work on that before starting on
>> the C version. However, seeing as my note about the most recent PEP
>> update attracted zero comments..
>
> Sorry, didn't realise you couldn't see me silently nodding my
> head from the other side of the world ;) I really must work
> on those communication skills...

I have that email (the update one from Mark not the silent nodding from
Tim) still sitting in my inbox waiting for me to properly read through
and comment on... Sorry for being useless, I'll try and move it up the
priority list.

I really like the PEP and think it will be a *huge* step forward for
Windows users - so it's purely the details that need thrashing out (heh).

In the latest update Mark also addressed my main concern, making the
launcher configurable so it can also be used by alternative
implementations (particularly IronPython for Windows). I've copied Jeff
Hardy and Dino (IronPython maintainers) in on this, in the hope that
they might take a look at the latest version of the PEP too...

All the best,

Michael