[Python-Dev] open(): set the default encoding to 'utf-8' in Python 3.3?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:44:02 CEST 2011

On 28 June 2011 16:06, Steffen Daode Nurpmeso <sdaoden at googlemail.com> wrote:
> @ Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote (2011-06-28 16:46+0200):
>> UTF-8 without BOM displays incorrectly in vim(1)
>
> Stop right now (you're oh so wrong)!  :-)

Sorry. Please add "using the default settings of gvim on Windows". My
context throughout was Windows not Unix. Sorry I didn't make that
clear.

> (By the way: UTF-8 and BOM?

Windows uses it, I believe. My tests specifically used files with no
BOM, just utf8-encoded text. I made this statement to head off people
assuming that UTF8 can be detected in Windows by looking at the first
few bytes.

> Interesting things i learn on this list.

:-)

> And i hope in ten years we can laugh about this -> UTF-8
> transition all over the place, 'cause it's simply working.)

That would be good...

Paul.