[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:35:01 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> Well, they're *usually* implemented as methods and backed by a real instance
> attribute. Usually (but not always) it makes more sense (IME) to group them
> with methods. The fact that they're *accessed* as an attribute is the
> uninteresting detail.
>
> __getattr__ and __getattribute__ are interesting - they allow you to use
> attribute access syntax for things that *aren't* attributes.
>
> I appreciate the fact that the Python data-model means methods are just
> object attributes, but they're not *instance attributes* and sometimes you
> need to make a distinction. (And yes it is helpful if the standard
> terminology leads people into a better understanding of the Python data
> model, but that still doesn't change the need on occasion for terminology
> that doesn't need to be explained whenever it is used.)

While the distinction between class-specific attributes and
instance-specific is important, I don't think merging it with the
method/data distinction is as helpful.  The valuable information here
is the expectation of how the attributes are used.  In my mind, that
boils down to data (holds static or dymanic state) and methods (does
something on the class or instance).

-eric