[Python-Dev] EuroPython Language Summit report

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Tue Jun 28 16:06:58 CEST 2011

Le mardi 28 juin 2011 à 14:41 +0100, Michael Foord a écrit :
> On 24/06/2011 15:55, R. David Murray wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:52:40 +0200, Mark Dickinson<dickinsm at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> EuroPython 2011 Language Summit
> >> ===============================
> > [...]
> >>      Unicode character classes is a particular need).  [Subtopic:  what needs
> >>      to be done to get the new regex module into Python?  Should it replace
> >>      the existing module?  What about backwards compatibility issues?]
> > I'm pretty sure regex has backward compatibility as a goal for just this
> > reason (so it can replace the current module).
> >
> The new regex library has some great improvements:
>
>      http://bugs.python.org/issue2636

This issue is open since April 2008, has also the longest list of
attached files, and has a very long history. What is the status of the
issue? I see that there is now a third party project on:

   http://code.google.com/p/mrab-regex-hg/

--

There is also the re2 library from Google and especially this project:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/re2/

"pyre2 is a Python extension that wraps Google's RE2 regular expression
library.

This version of pyre2 is similar to the one you'd find at facebook's
github repository except that the stated goal of *this version is to be
a drop-in replacement for the re module*.)"

Victor