[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Jun 28 14:56:40 CEST 2011

On 28/06/2011 13:31, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>> The problem with "data attributes" is that it doesn't mean *anything*, which
>> I suppose is useful for invented terminology, but it means it doesn't convey
>> anything precise to those who haven't heard the term before. If it becomes
>> widely used then that changes I guess. I'd still normally just use
>> "attributes" though...
> In this context, precision is an illusion. There is *no* precise
> terminology,
"instance members" is precise, (whether or not an attribute is fetched
"from the instance" is one thing that is clear in the python data model
- there are just lots of other ways of fetching attributes too).
"instance members" just doesn't cover all the cases where you may want
to group attributes together though.

However, providing "__getattr__" and "__getattribute__" is not the
common case and even properties are *usually* backed by a real instance
attribute. So "instance attributes" as opposed to other types of
attributes is *often* a useful distinction.

I don't think "data attributes" is clear or precise. Is a property a
data attribute (well it depends how it is implemented and what it does),
is a staticmethod a data attribute (no - but then Tres' question - it
isn't a normal method either so if you define data attribute to mean
"all non method attributes" then its potentially an open question).

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/