[Python-Dev] PEP 380 acceptance (was Re: EuroPython Language Summit report)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 02:10:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM, renaud <rndblnch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I hit a snag with this. The real tests of the PEP 380 functionality
>> aren't currently part of the patch - they're a big set of "golden
>> output" tests in the zipfile hosted on Greg's site. Those need to be
>> refactored into proper unittest or doctest based additions to the test
>> suite and incorporated into the patch before I could commit this with
>> a clear conscience.
>
> let me know if i can help.

It would be good if you could take a look at Greg's original test
suite, consider ways of bringing it into the main regression tests and
then update the patch queue on bitbucket accordingly.

My preference is for something unittest based, essentially taking the
"golden output" comparisons and turning them into appropriate
self.assert* invocations.

Given the number of tests Greg has, it will probably make more sense
to do it as a new test subdirectory rather than as a single test file
(although that depends on how many tests are in each file - if there
are only a few, or if they overlap a lot, then having them as separate
test cases within a single file may be a better choice).

>> Renaud's patch mostly applies cleanly at the moment - the only change
>> is that the "#endif" for the Py_LIMITED_API check needs to be moved in
>> pyerrors.h so it also covers the new StopIteration struct definition.
>
> if this helps, i've updated the patch to fix this.
> https://bitbucket.org/rndblnch/cpython-pep380/changeset/6014d1720625

Yep, that does help.

Cheers,
Nick.