[Python-Dev] EuroPython Language Summit report

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 02:46:39 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

[quoting VM summit notes]
>> PEP 0380: Syntax for delegating to a subgenerator.
>>
>> PEP 3150: Statement local namespaces.
>>
>> PEP 3152: Cofunctions.
>>
>> For all three of the above PEPs, there was some feeling that additional syntax
>> changes to the language are unnecessary and make it harder to learn; where
>> possible, we should prefer using 3rd partly libraries.
>
> I disagree with this with respect to 380.  Haven't looked at the others.

Indeed, PEP 380 is *really* hard to do properly without language
support. The language moratorium and lack of a Python 3 compatible
patch are the only reasons it didn't go into 3.2 (and there's a patch
porting the implementation to 3.3 up on bitbucket, although we've been
tinkering with the compiler so it is likely out of date at this
point).

I'm the author PEP 3150 and *I* think it's a highly questionable and
most likely terrible idea (hence the Deferred status). However, it's a
good place to gather the related discussions, since proposals in that
vein recur often on python-ideas.

PEP 3152 definitely fits into the "let third parties experiment"
bucket, though - once PEP 380 makes generators first class peers to
functions in their support for modularisation, then we need to let the
wider community play with the concept for a while before we embed
anything more into the core language or standard library.

Cheers,
Nick.