[Python-Dev] In-Python virtualisation and packaging

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Tue Jun 14 01:27:05 CEST 2011

On 06/13/2011 06:55 AM, Michael Foord wrote:
> There are two options:
>
> Bring the full functionality into the standard library so that Python
> supports virtual environments out of the box. As is the case with adding
> anything to the standard library it will then be impossible to add
> features to the virtualization support in Python 3.3 once 3.3 is
> released - new features will go into 3.4.

I think it's not hard to provide enough hooks to allow third-party tools
to extend the virtualenv-creation process, while still having enough
code in the stdlib to allow actual creation of virtualenvs. Virtualenv
already has very few features, and doesn't get very much by way of new
feature requests -- all the UI sugar and significant shell integration
goes into Doug Hellmann's virtualenvwrapper, and I wouldn't foresee that
changing.

IOW, I don't think the maintenance concerns outweigh the benefits of
being able to create virtualenvs with an out-of-the-box Python.