[Python-Dev] In-Python virtualisation and packaging

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:09:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Virtual environments are phenomenally useful, so I would support having the
> full tool in the standard library, but it does raise maintenance and
> development issues.
>
> Don't forget windows support! ;-)

Given that it is desirable for tools like virtualenv to support *old*
versions of Python on *new* versions of operating systems, it seems to
me that there is an inherent element of their feature set that makes
including the whole tool questionable.

OTOH, it may make sense to have a baseline tool provided innately, but
provide the appropriate third party hooks to allow alternative tools
to evolve independently of the stdlib.

How well does the regression test suite cope when run inside such a
virtualised environment?

Cheers,
Nick.