[Python-Dev] Python jails

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jun 11 02:52:28 CEST 2011

At 06:23 PM 6/10/2011 -0600, Sam Edwards wrote:
>I have a couple remaining issues that I haven't quite sussed out:
>[long list of questions deleted]

You might be able to answer some of them by looking at this project:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RestrictedPython

Which implements the necessary ground machinery for doing that sort
of thing, in the form of a specialized Python compiler (implemented
in Python, for 2.3 through 2.7) that allows you to implement whatever
sorts of guards and security policies you want on top of it.

Even if it doesn't answer all your questions in and of itself, it may
prove a fruitful environment in which you can experiment with various
approaches and see which ones you actually like, without first having
to write a bunch of code yourself.

Discussing an official implementation of this sort of thing as a
language feature is probably best left to python-ideas, though, until
and unless you actually have a PEP to propose.