[Python-Dev] The socket HOWTO

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jun 6 12:13:40 CEST 2011

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:33:14 +0200
"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 06.06.2011 10:11, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> > Le lundi 06 juin 2011 à 17:01 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
> >> You might question whether the same document should serve both the
> >> "cargo cult the examples" group and the "read the fine print" group.
> >> That's a valid question, but here my feeling is that the answer is
> >> "yes".
> >
> > So did you read the discussion before posting? The sockets HOWTO
> > *doesn't* serve both groups.
> > Actually, I would argue that it serves neither of them.
>
> How can you make such claims when several people have indicated that
> the howto *actually* helped them?

The point here is that the examples in that document are very poor
(the only substantial example actually duplicates existing
functionality - in a sub-optimal manner - without even mentioning the
existence of said functionality), and the technical explanations are
nearly non-existent. So I'll happy stand by my claims.

The Python documentation isn't meant to host any potentially helpful
document, however flawed. We have the Internet for that.

Regards

Antoine.