[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Add NEWS and whatsnew entries for the packaging module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:54:17 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Supporting detail: I recently installed the latest CentOS, 5.6, and found
> that it still Ships with CPython 2.4.
>
> I installed a CPython 3.2 in /usr/local almost immediately, but I can see
> how some might want 2.4 support yet.

Yeah, this came up at Brispy last week. Until CentOS 6 comes out and
hosting providers based on CentOS make that version available to their
customers, quite a few people are going to want 2.4 support. That's
likely to take a while, since the last note from the CentOS folks was
a month ago [1], and essentially just said "soon". Once it happens,
CentOS 6 users will be able to join RHEL6 users on 2.6.2.

[1] https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25878&forum=53#12

Cheers,
Nick.