[Python-Dev] Docs for the packaging module

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Jun 1 19:15:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

Looks like nobody cares enough about the packaging docs :)  If there is
no feedback, here’s what I propose to do:

- Add new Doc/library/packaging* files (library reference for developers
of packaging tools)

- Add new packaging-based “Installing Python Projects” to Doc/install,
replacing old distutils docs

- Add new packaging-based “Distributing Python Projects” Doc/packaging,
replacing old distutils docs (+ link to it from the main HTML page
instead of linking to Doc/distutils)

For users needing the legacy distutils docs in 3.3, I would move the
older distutils Doc/install/index.rst to Doc/distutils/install.rst, and
add a link to Doc/distutils in Doc/library/distutils (because the main
page would no longer link to Doc/distutils).

Regards