[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 30 15:25:27 CEST 2011

On 7/29/2011 7:27 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:02:32 -0400
> Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> On 7/29/2011 5:32 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>>> Ideally so.
>>
>> The effect of this will be to discourage new people (including myself in
>> the category) from writing or reviewing patches.
>
> I'm sorry, can you be more precise. The effect of what?

Your proposal to remove the current formatted documentation of
test.support instead of completing it and force all developers to only
have reference to the docstrings scattered through the code.

> And why would that be so?

Because not everyone is like you. Because the condensed formatted docs
make learning and using a module significantly easier for some people.

Terry Jan Reedy