[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 30 15:07:19 CEST 2011

On 7/29/2011 6:54 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:47:07 -0400
> Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>>
>>> And test.support *is* for internal use.
>>
>> No, the stuff in there is *not* for internal use within the module but
>> for external use is possiby every test module.
>
> I meant internal use for us. Really, whether or not it's
> used cross-module is irrelevant.

It is not at all irrelevant to me as a newer developer. I see uses of
test.support.x quite often in checkins and I apparently should know
about the contents of test.support for writing tests so I can use things
as appropriate. Ditto for everyone else. On the other hand, the private
support functions in trace.py are irrelevant to everyone except for the
occasional person doing occasion maintenance work on that module.

Terry Jan Reedy