[Python-Dev] cpython (3.2): Stop ignoring Mercurial merge conflits files (#12255).

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jul 30 04:00:53 CEST 2011

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:

> Besides, "hg status" is meant to show untracked files which could
> *potentially* be tracked.

And if you don't want to track them, you need to deal with them somehow.

> It's not like anybody wants to track .orig and .rej files, so having
> them in the ignore list is still the right thing to do.

No, because their appearance in the working tree means something needs
to be dealt with by the programmer.

That's unlike other files which are generated and *don't* need to be
dealt with by the programmer (or can be deterministically regenerated at
will), so can safely be ignored.

--
 \     “When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. |
  `\    Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole |