[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 07:24:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 03:39, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >> However, is there any reason why test.support itself shouldn't be
> renamed
> >> test._support, or possibly _test.support, so that the *entire* suite is
> >> marked as a private implementation detail?
> >
> > Technically no for the _test idea, although it would promote the idea of
> not
> > shipping Python with its tests, which would be a shame as it's hard
> enough
> > to get people to run them. Renaming test.support is much more acceptable,
> > just more work considering how many times that module is used in the test
> > suite.
>
> Moving the docs should deal with the module and name indexing issue,
> so -1 one to expending any developer effort on unnecessary name
> changes in the test suite.

Alright, I think there's now a sufficiently wide consensus to move the
documentation of Lib/test and Lib/test/support in particular to the
devguide, which raises a question:

Currently test.support is documented both for Python 3K and 2.7, while the
devguide (AFAIK) comes in a single version.

I propose to just move 3K's docs to the devguide, and make both doc pages
(in 3K and 2.7) point to it. Is this acceptable?

Eli