[Python-Dev] Draft PEP: "Simplified Package Layout and Partitioning"

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jul 20 15:41:02 CEST 2011

First off, kudos to PJE for his work on this PEP.  He really had the key
insight for this new approach, and did a great job of explaining his vision in
a clear way so that I think everybody over on import-sig "got it".

On Jul 20, 2011, at 08:57 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:

>At 06:46 PM 7/20/2011 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> > So, without further ado, here it is:
>>
>>I pushed this version up to the PEPs repo, so it now has a number
>>(402) and can be read in prettier HTML format:
>>http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0402/
>
>Technically, shouldn't this be a 3XXX series PEP?  Or are we not doing those
>any more now that all PEPs would be 3XXX?

Great question.  I don't know if we want/need to make the distinction any
more.  It does feel a little odd putting Python 3 PEPs (the only kind of new
Standards Track PEPs) in the 0XXX numbers, but now that we're all moving to
Python 3 <wink>, it seems like segregating new PEPs to the 3XXX range is a bit
contrived.

I think filling up 0XXX is probably fine.

-Barry