[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Jul 27 15:36:19 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:14:40 +0300, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. In the documentation of test.support mention explicitly that it's code
> for CPython's internal use only, and these APIs aren't guaranteed to be
> stable.

This was already done.

> 2. Some functions like unlink and rmtree are obviously redundant, and shadow
> frequently used Python stdlib functions, so I would either kill them
> completely or at least rename them appropriately.

But they aren't redundant, since the test.support versions ignore
errors.

Perhaps what we could do is move the documentation for test.support to
the devguide, and then vet the test suite so that unlink and friends
are always called as 'support.unlink', etc.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com