[Python-Dev] is sys.modules not meant to be replaced?

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:53:38 CEST 2011

The documentation[1] doesn't say, but the implementation of the imp
module makes me wonder if sys.modules was not meant to be replaceable.
 No doubt this has to do with its tie to the interpreter's modules
dict.  I ran into this doing "sys.modules = sys.modules.copy()" to
protect the actual sys.modules dict during some import related test
cases.  If the modules I imported were extension modules it broke.

So, is sys.modules not meant to be open to re-binding?

-eric

p.s. I tried opening a tracker ticket on this, but it wouldn't go
through.  I'll try again later.

[1] http://docs.python.org/library/sys.html#sys.modules