[Python-Dev] New update to PEP397 - Python launcher for Windows

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 22 07:22:52 CEST 2011

Glenn Linderman writes:

 > I note in passing that '/usr/bin/env python' is hard-coded in the
 > launcher, which conforms to the above documentation.

A single character (space or tab) is also hard-coded in Emacs's
python-mode.

 > But there is no hard requirement in Unix, if I correctly understand
 > it, that '/usr/bin/env' be separated from 'python' (or whatever) by
 > exactly one space.

No, there is no hard requirement; the shebang still is not
standardized AFAIK.  A single space is probably the most portable
choice, however.

It would not be hard to allow arbitrary whitespace, but I think
documenting the restriction is sufficient.