[Python-Dev] New tests in stable versions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 00:06:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 7/21/2011 2:58 AM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>> I concur with Brett. Nothing good will come from backporting tests that
>> aren't aimed at a specific bugfix.
>
> They could catch reversions that otherwise would not be caught. This would
> mainly apply to 2.7. It would not be an issue for 3.2 if all fixes are
> forward ported to 3.3 and tested there (before pushing) where there are
> tests not in 3.2. If people fix in 3.2, test, commit, and push, and just
> assume OK in 3.3, the new test will not do any good until someone else runs
> them with the fix.

None of that contradicts what Raymond and Brett said. Backporting test
improvements that aren't targeting specific known bugs does not make
efficient use of limited development resources. Forward porting of any
changes made to maintenance branches (or explicitly blocking same as
being irrelevant), OTOH, is mandatory.

Cheers,
Nick.