[Python-Dev] New update to PEP397 - Python launcher for Windows

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:13:16 CEST 2011

If you're going to include this into standard Python distribution, it
needs more attention from _users_. As a user, I can not find any
references to any user stories in this PEP article. Abstract chapter
is totally useless

"This PEP (named 'Python launcher for Windows') describes a Python
launcher for the Windows platform." - it is a waste of time to read
such stuff.

"A Python launcher is a single executable which uses a number of
heuristics to locate a Python executable and launch it with a
specified command line." - this doesn't answer main questions - Why
Launcher is needed, i.e. is there a problem? Can it be solved? How
this PEP helps to solve the problem?

I see that this launcher is an .msi file. Shouldn't it be portable and
don't require administrative privileges? How about KISS?
--
anatoly t.