[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 05:22:11 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> Indeed.  If I want to run a script with a different python version
> on a unix-like system, I need to know the path to said script.
> We're trying to make python as easy to use on Windows as it is on Unix.
> If find-script-on-path is considered a worthwhile feature, then as Mark
> said it should be added to base Python (on all platforms), not special-cased
> in the Windows launcher.

And given the diverse range of what Python considers to be an
executable script these days, -1000 to that particular feature. Use
`which scriptname`, that's what it's for. The lack of such
functionality in the underpowered cmd shell on Windows isn't Python's
problem to solve - ask MS for a better shell and command line
utilities (assuming Powershell doesn't already offer something
comparable to 'which').

There are reasons I only code specifically for Windows if someone pays
me to do so :P

Cheers,
Nick.