[Python-Dev] Indentation in reStructuredText documents (was: [Python-checkins] peps: Restore whitespace characters lost via email transmission.)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 21 03:31:21 CEST 2011

Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> writes:

> FYI, reST uses three-space indents, not four (so that blocks align
> nicely under the leading two dots + one space), so I think the change
> was intentional.

No, reST doesn't specify any particular level of indentation. Like most
Python programmers I prefer four-space indentation, so I do the same in
my reST documents::

    ..  epigraph::
        “Foo bar baz” —Fnorble

I strongly recommend the same for Python documentation.

--
 \     “I was in the first submarine. Instead of a periscope, they had |
  `\               a kaleidoscope. ‘We're surrounded.’” —Steven Wright |