[Python-Dev] Python launcher command line usage (Was: 3.2.1 encoding surprise)

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:17:44 CEST 2011

On 21/07/2011 10:08 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:55:28 +1000
> Mark Hammond<skippy.hammond at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>   >  The two proposals
>>> overlap but are not mutually exclusive. For future pythons, 'python33'
>>> is easier to remember and type than 'py -v 3.3' or whatever the proposed
>>> encantation is.
>>
>> 'py -3.3' - less chars to type than 'python33' and with no need to have
>> every Python directory on your PATH.  IMO it is also simple enough that
>> people will remember it fairly easily.
>
> Given that Python 2.x has a "-3" option, isn't "py -3.3" kind of
> confusing, at least to the eye?

A little, yeah, but IMO practicality beats purity here.  I'd probably
feel different if I felt 'python -3' was regularly used and would
continue to be so in the future.  Also, I think most people who would
potentially use 'python -3' will be aware that running 'py' is a totally
different command and will adjust accordingly (either by continuing to
use 'python -3' or adjusting to running 'py -2 -3'.)

The PEP does make explicit mention of this...

Cheers,

Mark