[Python-Dev] New tests in stable versions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 01:54:21 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> I say don't add new tests for the sake of coverage or adding new tests to
> stable branches. Tests for bugfixes are practically required.

I don't *object* to enhanced tests going into maintenance branches,
but the workflow of committing directly to trunk is so much simpler
that I personally would only apply such changes if the new tests
actually uncovered implementation bugs. Then backporting the tests
would useful either as part of fixing the same bugs or else to
demonstrate that the maintenance branch did not have the problem.

So slightly more relaxed than Brett's view:
- definitely apply bug fixes and their tests to affected maintenance branches
- *optionally* apply coverage enhancements to maintenance branches,
but don't feel obliged to do so

I see it as a productivity trade-off - time spent improving coverage
on multiple branches is time not spent on other things. I'm more than
willing to sacrifice some test coverage on the maintenance branches to
get even better test coverage and appropriate new features on trunk
and more bug fixes on maintenance branches.

Cheers,
Nick.