[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Restore whitespace characters lost via email transmission.

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 20 16:55:39 CEST 2011

At 04:21 PM 7/20/2011 +0200, Éric Araujo wrote:
>FYI, reST uses three-space indents, not four (so that blocks align
>nicely under the leading two dots + one space), so I think the change
>was intentional.  The “Documenting Python” guide tells this (in the
>standard docs), and I think it applies to PEPs too.

PEP 12 prescribes four-space indents for PEPs, actually, wherever it
mentions an specific indentation depth.  Also, a formfeed character
was lost, not just the leading spaces.

Essentially, though, I was just merging my working copy, and those
were the only differences that showed up (apart from the filled-in
Post-History header), so I assumed it was just whitespace lost in transmission.

(I'm a bit surprised that three-space indents are mandated for
anything involving documenting Python in reST, though, since that
would mean you'd also have to indent your code samples by three
spaces, or else have an editor that supports two different tab widths.)