[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 01:55:11 CEST 2011

Glenn Linderman <v+python <at> g.nevcal.com> writes:

>     Here is a list of py.exe references in my registry:
>     HCR\Python.CompiledFile
>     HCR\Python.File
>     HCR\Python.NoConFile
      [snip]

There shouldn't be so many references, so I suggest you may want to try the
following (after backing up your registry first):

1. Uninstall all instances of the launcher.
2. Remove all registry keys for .py, .pyc, .pyo, .pyw, Python.File,
Python.NoConFile, and Python.CompiledFile.
3. Re-install the launcher (64-bit) using "msiexec /i launchsys.amd64.msi
ALLUSERS=1" (or launcher.amd64.msi if you prefer - the only difference is the
installation directory).
4. Check that the removed associations have appeared under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
and that they all point to the launcher installed in the previous step. These
may also appear in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT if it is aliased to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes tree.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip