[Python-Dev] Python Launcher for Windows (PEP 397) needs testing!

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 17:07:04 CEST 2011

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for trying it.

> .\CLILauncher.rc(97) : error RC2135 : file not found:
> C:\Users\Vinay\Projects\Launchers\launcher.ico

Somewhere there's an absolute path where it should be relative - I'll get on it.

> There are a few compilation warnings as well:
>
> .\launcher.c(59) : warning C4996: '_wgetenv': This function or variable
> may be unsafe. Consider using _wdupenv_s instead. To disable
> deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.

This is a security related warning which I think can be ignored - we only ever
read environment values, never write them, so making a private copy via _wdupenv
isn't really needed IMO. I don't disable the warning because it would disable
all security-related warnings.

> Associator builds (with the same warning displayed above). When checking
> it's dependencies, I see it depends on MSVCR90.DLL. You've mentioned
> that you use only "plain C and Win32 APIs"; would it be possible to
> remove this dependency? That would make it possible to copy the
> executable to a directory on the PATH, without having to worry about
> installing the C(++) runtime.

I noticed this too, and later builds of associator have the library linked in
statically.

If you get any more issues, you can post them on the BitBucket issue tracker -
they are probably OT for here, unless design/PEP related.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip